Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Dallas

This one is dedicated to my dear dear friend Dallas.  Your friendship mean so much.  I hope you enjoy this story.  I had a blast writing it.

Dallas
When I was younger, I worked at a company that managed the troubled savings and loans.  My title was the Credit Committee Secretary.  That meant I helped the asset managers with their proposals for managing the assets they were assigned.  This also meant that I would attend the Credit Committee meetings.  These meetings lasted all day, starting at 7 AM and ending late in the evening.  The length of these meetings was not the only horrible part of attending; the senior manager, (Dick) would criticize, berate, and shout at the young asset managers, rarely praising them.  Luckily, he liked me and for some reason I could do no wrong in his eyes.  I wouldn’t have lasted long if he treated me the same way. 
I had the awesome job of collecting the next victim to present their proposal.  Sometimes I felt like the grim reaper delivering these poor souls to their death.  I think they hid from me because they were so nervous and I would actually have to track them down; sometimes in a bathroom stall.  I don’t blame them as they knew for certain they would soon be losing their head.  It made for very long days.  Until Dallas.
Dick was so irritated and disgusted with the quality of work our local asset managers were producing that he sent for one of the top asset managers from the corporate office in Texas; someone he has worked with for a number of years and trusted completely.  Dallas.
He walked in one morning and the mood in the office changed. 
Dallas rolled up his sleeves and got to work right away.  He met with each asset manager, went through their current proposals with them and gave them direction. 
I had my eye on him.  He was tall with a nice body, good looking, brunette and the sexiest southern drawl and smile. 
I soon found out that he had his eye on me as well. 
During our long committee meetings he sat directly across from me.  When he wasn’t giving direction, his opinions or words of encouragement, he was smiling my way.   When I had to leave the room to either collect the next presenter or order our lunches, he would watch me.  This excited me.
I brought our lunches into the conference room as we had to work through lunch.  I got a brownie in my boxed lunch.
“Cheetahtort – you got a brownie?  Hmmmm  I should have asked for one of those.  Looks … delicious,” Dallas said with his dangerous smile.
“Would you like a bite?  I’m willing to share,” I say holding up the brownie to him but then get embarrassed as I see Dick look over to me, down to the brownie and then back to Dallas.
I instantly put the brownie down and shyly smile to Dick.  “I would have offered you some too – but you have your own,” I say and then smile back to Dallas.
Dallas sits back, smiles and shakes his head in amusement. 
A week later, Dick tells me Dallas is coming back into town.  I can’t hide my excitement but then realize its Dick telling me this and not a girlfriend of mine.  I restrain myself to answer with an “OK, what do you need for me to do?”
“He’s not coming alone, Bob is also joining him.  Set up their accommodations.  Dallas liked the Embassy Suites last time.  Thanks Cheetahtort.”  He walked away with a small smile on his face.  Even though Dick was a “Dick” to the asset managers, he always treated me with kindness and almost like a daughter.  I think he knows I’m interested and enjoys seeing me excited.
I quickly call to make arrangements for Dallas, oh and Bob too.  Then I’m off to shop for some cute outfits for the next week.
Wednesday morning arrives and I wear the cutest outfit I found on my last shopping trip, short black skirt, white tight shirt with black poka dots, black jacket and the hottest black high-heeled sandals.  Dick walks by my desk.
“Cheetahtort . . . , you look very nice today,” Dick says smiling, walking into his office.  He knows this outfit is for Dallas and is making fun of me!  Ah, who cares, let’s just hope Dallas likes it.
“I agree with Dick.  You do . . .  look very nice today,” Dallas says surprising me from behind.
“Aaaa!  You scared me!”  I say with a jump and putting my hand to my chest.
He instantly reaches out and grabs my arm.  “I’m so sorry Cheetahtort, I didn’t mean to scare you.  This is Bob.  Bob, Cheetahtort,” Dallas says introducing me.
I stand up to shake Bob’s hand but all I can think about is Dallas’ hand on my arm.
“Very nice to meet you, Cheetahtort.  I’ve heard very nice things about you,” says Bob shaking my hand.
Very nice things?  From who?  Dick or Dallas?
As the day goes on – I see Dallas helping out the asset managers and every once in a while smiling in my direction.  Later in the day, he comes up to my desk.
“So I hear a couple people are going to the Monte Carlo for drinks tonight.  Are you going?” Dallas asks me while bending over my desk.
“I don’t even know where that is,” I say back feeling like I should and I’m out of the loop. 
“Well, that makes three of us.  Bob and I are thinking of going.  Would you like to join us?”
“Um . . . . Yeah – I think I can do that,” I try to sound nonchalant.
“Why don’t you meet us at the hotel, they have a free happy hour.  We can start there and then head out to meet the rest,” Dallas says with his drawl.
I agree and am thanking God that I wore my hot outfit that can go from office to bar with just taking off a jacket.
I make it to the Embassy Suites and walk to the bar.  I see Dallas and Bob waiting for me.  I approach and the two of them stand.  I’ve never, ever experienced this . . .  true southern gentlemen. 
They both smile and say welcome.  I sit down and Dallas quickly calls over the waiter to order me a drink. 
I’m sitting next to Dallas and trying my best to be confident, but shaking in my new high heels.
Dallas sees this and puts a hand on my knee and whispers to me, “You’re fine.”
I take a deep breath, take a large gulp of my beer and start to enjoy the evening.
Bob is a kind and wonderful man.  The two of them have known each other for years.  You can tell there’s a true friendship there.  The two of them keep me in the conversation.  At one point I tell one of the Texans, Bob, that I’ve always wanted red cowboy boots.  Cowboy boots . . . . hmmmm. . .  I have a thing for them.
“I’m going to send you red cowboy boots Cheetahtort!  Mark my words, you’ll receive them soon,” says Bob.
“Shut up.  Don’t you dare!”  I say thinking he’s not serious. (He does and I absolutely loved them!)
We have a couple free cocktails at the hotel bar and then decide to go to the Monte Carlo to meet up with the others.
I drive.
I have two tall and sexy Texans in my Pontiac Sunbird.  Wow, this is embarrassing.  Poor Bob is shoved into the back and has barely enough room to breathe.
I can’t find my way to the Monte Carlo.  The Texans don’t seem to care.  We end up at Jose’s instead and have our own party.
We walk into the bar – and suddenly I have a hand in mine.  Dallas is taking a hold of me and not letting me go.  He doesn’t even seem to be bothered that Bob sees this.  I have a feeling that the two of them have talked earlier.
We grab a couple large beers; gather near the back of the bar as there is nowhere to sit.  I have Bob standing across from me and Dallas so close you’d think he was whispering in my ear.
Girls are walking by and Bob’s looking.  Dallas is not!  I like this.  Bob soon excuses himself to meet a pretty lady.  Dallas and I are left behind.  We don’t seem to mind.
“They sell T-shirts here.” Dallas says while putting an arm around me but looking over at the case of t-shirts they have to offer.
I look over to the T-shirts, but really don’t care as I feel his arm surround my back.  Who cares about t-shirts?
“I want to remember this evening.  I think I need a T-shirt.”  Dallas says grabbing my hand and walking over to the register.
“What size do you want?” says Dallas. 
“I’m not the one that wanted a T-shirt,” I say back, smiling that he wants to remember this evening.
“I’m buying you one,” he says with authority. 
We resume our positions against the wall.  As each person walks by we get closer.  We take advantage of each pass.
“I can get used to this.” Dallas says pushing me up against the wall once again.  His hands are above my head and his torso pressed against mine.
I know he isn’t doing this on purpose, but we are both enjoying it. I’m more than enjoying it.
I smile up to him and try my best to tease.  As my left hand is busy holding the giant beer I have, my right takes advantage of being free.  I start to touch his back and slowly move lower.  He moves closer even though there isn’t anyone pushing him.
We are so caught up in our closeness we don’t realize that we haven’t seen Bob in awhile.
“Well, look at the two of you.  Getting to know each other better?”  Bob says while smiling walking past us to the men’s room.
Dallas grabs him, says something low that I don’t catch.
“No problem Dallas, you and Cheetahtort have a good night.  I’ll just grab a cab – I don’t want to leave the pretty ladies I’ve met,” Bob says laughing. 
“Come with me,” Dallas says while taking my hand in his and we walk out the bar.
“We’re just going to leave him?”
He squeezes my hand and stops to look down to me.  “He’s fine, he’s enjoying himself, let’s get out of here.”  The smile on his face is contagious. 
Alright.
“Give me your keys, I’m driving.”
Alright.
We make it back to the hotel parking lot.
He puts the car in park.  We sit there quietly listening to the radio, both of us not sure what to do next.
“Can you come in?”
“To your hotel room?  Umm No.”
“No, we can go in for another drink.  We don’t need to go upstairs. No funny business Cheetahtort,” he says as we both get out of the car.
No funny business?  I actually believe him as he hasn’t even tried to kiss me yet.  He’s been the utmost gentleman throughout this entire evening.
I have to gather my senses.  I really shouldn’t go in but really want to.
He sees my trepidation.
He walks in my direction “I haven’t once made you feel uncomfortable.  I just like you and want to spend more time with you.  Again, no funny business.”
“Alright, but can I do this before we go inside?”
“What?”
I walk over to him and get on my tippy toes to give him a small kiss.
Our first kiss.
He seems to like it as he takes a hold of me, pulls me closer for more.
It gets a bit intense.
He breaks away.
“I want to be a gentleman here and you are making it very difficult.”
I pull him back to me.
“Ahhh . . . Cheetahtort,” he says before kissing me again.  We start to get carried away.
He slowly slides away from my lips and dips lower.
Yes.
We get caught up in the excitement.  We forget we are in a hotel parking lot. Until . . .
We hear the hoot’n and holler’n from the balconies above.   
“Cheethatort, we need to stop, we have fans.”
At that moment I felt something hit my head and so did Dallas.  We look to the ground to see what was sent our way.
“HAHA – lotion! Cheetahtort, they sent us lotion!”
Oh my God, I’m so embarrassed. 
We really put on a good show for them.  I hope they enjoyed it half as much as I did!
“Seriously, lotion?  Like we need it!” I say laughing trying to gather myself and maybe some clothes.
He grabs my hand; we both look up together and take a bow.
They cheer for us and we laugh back.  They finally walk back into their hotel room as they realize the show’s over. 
“I’m sorry about that.  I meant to be a gentleman but I lost myself.  My apologies.”
“No apologies needed.   I’m the one that started the show.” I say kissing him again wanting it to continue.
“No.  Stop Cheetahtort.  If we start again – I’m not going to be able to stop,” Dallas said stepping away.
I got shy and stepped away, not sure of what was happening.
“Trust me.  I would love for this to continue, but I like you and don’t want to ruin this evening.”
He pushes me to the driver’s side of the car.
“Please call me when you get home.  I want to know you are safe.”
I get in feeling rejected.  I put myself out there and he’s sending me home.  What did I do wrong?
“Drive safely and remember to call me when you get home.  I’ll see you in the morning at the office, Dallas says almost sounding like my father.
I put my tail between my legs and drove home slapping myself thinking I went too far.
I get up the next morning still upset with my behavior last night, but still kind of enjoying reliving parts of the evening.
I gather myself; try to look my best as I will see Dallas soon.
I get to my desk and notice a treat left on my chair.  Two of my favorite candy bars.  I get excited for this small gift Dallas left me.  Until I think about it.  How would Dallas know what my favorite candy bars are? 
Turns out the candy bars are from my co-worker, Greg that has a crush on me.
I walk into his office.  “Thank you for the candy bars.”
“You are so welcome!  I know you enjoy them.  I know you’ve been working hard and wanted to give you a smile.”
“Well, you did, thank you.  I love them.”
Dallas walks into the office 20 minutes later. 
“Cheetahtort, can I talk to you?”  Dallas says knowing the office is listening.
“Of course,” I say getting up from my chair.
We walk out to the elevator lobby acting like last night never happened.
Once we are around the corner, he grabs me, pulls me into his arms and says . . .
“I didn’t get a wink of sleep last night.  I kept thinking of you.”
Yeah baby!
“Me too.”
He pulls me closer and we kiss.
At that moment, Greg walks around the corner.
“Floozy!”  He screams and walks to the men’s room.
“Did he just call me a floozy?”  I ask Dallas.
“I believe he did.  Wow.”
There’s a pause between the two of us then burst into laughter.  Well, I guess our little secret is out.
But, Floozy, Really?  I’ve never been called a floozy before.  Actually, I’ve never known anyone to be called that.  What time is that from?  The 1800s?  Seriously? 
I look up at Dallas with a quizzical look.
“I believe he’s just jealous that you are in my arms right now and not in his.” 
We straighten up and walk back into the office like nothing’s happened.
Later, Dallas and Bob have to leave and go back to Texas.
They say their goodbyes. 
He gives me a small wave and sad smile knowing we can’t do more than that with the office watching.
Hours later I get a call from a phone number I don’t recognize.
“BEY, this is Cheetahtort.”
“Cheetahtort!”
“Dallas?  I thought you left!  Where are you?”
“Over Houston.”
“What? . . Are you on the plane?”
“Yep, just wanted to let you know I was thinking about you and what a great time I had.”
Seriously?  I had a man calling me from a plane?  I was in heaven.
“You are too much!”
The next day, flowers were delivered.  The most beautiful flowers I’ve ever seen.  For me.   
They made the entire office smell wonderful.
The card read:  Until my next visit.
Dick walked by.  “Cheetahtort, flowers huh?”  He smiled, shaking his head like he knew too much and walked into his office.

2 comments:

  1. I did not want the story to end. I need more!!! SO good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dallas sounds like a great gentelman. This was a good on! I was lol'ing alot.

    ReplyDelete